An initiative aimed at stimulating greater regional commitment to environmental issues by government, schools, businesses, private citizens and young people. Since the beginning the BPGC have added many community partners to strengthen the commitment of the Partnership and to expand the expertise of the committees and their work. Eleven committees or teams have been formed to identify and implement projects to help create a greener bluegrass.
Why a Green Partnership?
- Create universal vision of a better Lexington/Bluegrass region
- Combined total of 18,350 employees, 2773 vehicles, and 58,180 students creates tremendous opportunities for identifying synergies & sharing talents to implement positive change
- Encourage students and citizens alike to participate in community-wide projects
Who are the Partners?
What are the Partnership's goals?
- To sustain and preserve regional quality of life
- To protect the environment and conserve resources
- To minimize waste and prevent pollution
What are potential additional outcomes of partnering?
- Cost savings through purchasing agreements
- Model behaviour sets positive example
- Collaboration leads to cooperation on additional projects
What has happened so far?
- Steering Committee formed to assess feasibility of creating an environmental partnership (Winter 2004)
- Leadership Meeting introduced senior personnel to the Partnership concept (March 15, 2005)
- Bluegrass Partnership for a Green Community Proclamation signed (August 24, 2005)
- Three-day work sessions were conducted in November to identify focus areas and delineate potential projects (November, 2005)
- Project teams were formed and inaugural goal-setting meetings conducted (February-March, 2006)
- Project teams presented project proposals to Steering Committee (June 2006)
- Bluegrass Partnership for a Green Community "Creating a Greener Bluegrass" Conference, August 10th and 11th, Lexington's Radisson Plaza Hotel
What are the next steps?
- Representatives from each partnering organization are working together to secure support for projects and achieve goals outlined at the BPGC Conference